Florida still reaches freezing temperatures on occasion
If you need to heat your home, be sure to do so safely by following instructions for heating devices. The risk of carbon monoxide poisoning is much higher in the winter months due to people unsafely trying to heat their homes. Exposure to dangerous conditions may lead to injury or death.
- Make sure you have an emergency kit ready for winter weather hazards.
- Make sure to properly use space heaters.
- Make sure your home is well insulated – this is beneficial for both winter and summer.
- Bundle up! Having too many layers is better than not enough.
- Stay dry – you cannot maintain your body heat well if your clothes are wet.
- If you lose power and use a generator, store your generator according to the safety instructions.
- Bring your pets indoors.
- Get medical attention immediately in the event of hypothermia.
- Know the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Source: For more information on winter weather, visit Ready.gov.